Friday, April 3, 2009

Social Networking Videos...

The two gentlemen in the first video confused me a bit, odd to think about the simplicity of a book, and that at some point it was a new, novel idea, that needed to be explained. It made me think about how I would instruct someone to open and read a book and what to do when they are done, and furthermore how would I explain other really simple tasks...like creating a blog or navigating the internet! Then in turn made me think about the way I explain things in my classroom, am I simplifying enough? or too much? Am I encouraging them to think? I'd like to believe I am and have been careful to choose my words, but I think for the next few days anyway I will be a little more conscious of it...I think I overthought the video a little.

Videos like the second and third videos regarding social networking and internet safety always frighten me a little bit and make me nervous for my students. I know they all have Facebook and Myspace pages and I fear exactly what goes on when they become faceless internet users. I've seen fights between kids and heard some downright MEAN things passed amongst students when they are face-to-face, I can't imagine what goes on when they do not have to look each other in the eyes and are simply typing to a screen. You'd like to think these kids would be nicer to each other but as we saw in the video even polar bears can have a mean streak...

1 comment:

  1. Eddie,

    Thanks for the self-reflection. A video like this does make you think-- am I teaching in the appropriate manner? Are my students or fellow teachers on the same page?

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete