Sunday, March 15, 2009

Building A Webpage II

So I have been building my web page and it coming along very easily. Scholastic is simple and extremely user-friendly, which is making the process that much easier.

The challenge so far has been in determining what needs to be included and how often it would have to be updated or rather how often I would be able to update it. I think a class webpage should be a supplement to the classroom but also include information about required assignments. It is because of this that I am afraid there will be too much on the page and may lead to navigation problems, as well as students being a bit overwhelmed, especially at in the first few weeks.

Knowing that I had online classes even during my under-grad days and knowing that online and hybrid classes are really becoming more and more common, I think it is an important to include things like this in high schools even at a basic level. Which brings me back to the original problem, I want this to be functional and can not decide exactly how in depth to go right away.

2 comments:

  1. Eddie,

    Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    You explained that your main "challenge so far has been in determining what needs to be included and how often it would have to be updated or rather how often I would be able to update it."

    This struggle is one that most teachers experience when developing a site. Let us know what you decide and why. This can only help the others.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having the same problem with being unable to decide how much information to include on my web page. I want the web page to be worthwhile, and I want the student's and parents find it useful, but I also don't want them to completely rely on it for everything. If I start out posting homework for every night of the week, and then for some reason I am unable to do it once, I don't want the students saying they didn't think they had to do any work because it wasn't posted.

    ReplyDelete